Paraskeva Friday Chapel
At the beginning of the XVIII century, peaceful life was established on the banks of the Yenisei. The raids of the nomads and the wars ended... The Cossack guard on Mount Kum-Tigey (from the Turkic "kum" — "sand", "tigey" — "peak, hill") He wasn't needed at all. But in memory of the brave Cossacks who once watched over the Kachinsky prison, a huge wooden cross was erected on this mountain. Despite numerous requests from residents of Krasnoyarsk, it was not possible to put up either a church or a chapel here, because for this it was necessary to go to Tobolsk and justify the need for a church: whether there was enough money, parishioners, and building materials... Therefore, the residents independently replaced the wooden cross with an iron one and built a roof over it, and later surrounded the cross with walls. That's how the first wooden chapel turned out. In the middle of the 19th century, a priest named Inozemtsev came to Krasnoyarsk. His task was to submit reports to Tobolsk on the condition of the city's churches. But he was not a local man, so he did not consider it necessary to mention the wooden chapel in the documents. And there were never any services in it. But Krasnoyarsk residents often visited this place and wanted to perpetuate the memory of their ancestors and their gratitude with a stone chapel. With such a request, they turned to Tobolsk. But it turned out that according to the papers, the wooden chapel did not exist, and all because Inozemtsev, in order to hide his mistake, reported to Tobolsk that both the cross and the icons had been taken from this chapel, which means, according to him, it is no longer a chapel at all! Krasnoyarsk residents, who have Cossack blood in their veins, did not give up so easily. They found a painting by the French artist Alibera. A couple of years before this incident, he had painted a landscape showing both a wooden chapel and a cross. This painting was provided to Tobolsk as proof, and the truth prevailed! A stone chapel, to be! Since 1855 , she has been flaunting on the mountain, which was renamed Karaulnaya. Now it is a symbol of the city, known throughout Russia! Now the Pokrovsky Park is located on Karaulnaya Hill, the center of which is one of the most recognizable sights of the city – the Paraskeva Friday Chapel. This place is one of the best viewpoints of the city, which offers a wonderful panorama of the center of the left bank, the mighty Yenisei and the majestic cliffs of the right bank. Here, residents and visitors of the city can walk along the trails, admiring the beautiful views, find a place for a quiet rest and have a picnic in the warmer months, visit the visitor center and buy a souvenir, and even walk with your favorite four-legged pet. Especially for kids, there are two playgrounds in this place that are suitable for children of different ages, and in the toilet you can find a room for a mother and child. You can come to Karaulnaya Gora at any time of the year or day – the view will be amazing. But we especially recommend visiting this place in the summer after sunset – the lights of the night city and the illumination in the park itself are fascinating! How to get there? ► By bus: Take bus No. 81 to the Kakhovskaya bus stop. Then walk between private houses No. 87 and 93 towards Aviatsionnaya Street. The walking distance is about 600 meters. ► By car: it is necessary to get to the old part of the Pokrovka neighborhood. Then drive to Aviatsionnaya St. and follow it right into the area right up to the beginning of the park. Source: https://visitsiberia.info /
Holy Dormition Monastery
The Holy Dormition Monastery was opened on May 15, 1879. The monastery had a large farm, the monks worked on spacious arable lands, kept livestock. There were carriage houses, barns, cellars, a bakery and a room for the prosvirniks. There was a shelter for children and an icon painting workshop. In 1918, the monastery was closed. During the Soviet years, there was a communal school, a camp for street children, and a pioneer camp. The territory was returned to the Church only in 2000, and after that, restoration work and extensive landscaping began in the monastery. Now, years later, not only believers, but also ordinary tourists come to this extraordinarily beautiful place. Address: 55a Lesnaya St. Source: https://visitsiberia.info /
Holy Trinity Cathedral
Holy Trinity Cathedral is one of the most beautiful and most "sacred" churches in the region. Its construction was completed back in the 1860s. Despite the fact that the church is located at the Trinity cemetery, its life is not limited to funeral services. Surprisingly, after 1936, when all the religious buildings in Krasnoyarsk were closed or reclassified into secular institutions, the only church used for its intended purpose was Holy Trinity. In 1937, the priests of the temple were shot, and for two years the prayers of the parishioners continued in secret. In 1939, the building was given to the hardware workshop of the leather goods factory of the Krailegprom, but in 1945 it again received the status of a temple. Address: Igarskaya St., 6. Source: https://visitsiberia.info /
Bishop's House and St. John the Baptist Church
The Bishop's House and the Church of John the Baptist were built by the end of the 19th century. But after 1917, the building was first reclassified into a registry office, then into a children's home No. 1 and an orphanage, then a therapeutic hospital of the Provincial Ministry of Health, since 1924 the building became a tuberculosis dispensary, and in the 1930s - the city polyclinic No. 2. After the war, at various times there was a hospital, a trauma center and an oncological center. In the 1990s, the building was empty for a long time and was being destroyed. In the early 2000s, its restoration began. Now the Bishop's House is the administrative center of the Krasnoyarsk diocese, and the Church of St. John the Baptist has become one of the most beloved among local residents. Address: Gorky str., 27